Upon successful completion of this course, attendees will learn how to evaluate and treat clients with an ostomy. The course will start by providing an overview of the anatomy and physiology as it relates to the urinary and digestive system. This will provide a foundation for understanding why and how to treat clients with fecal and urinary diversions using a client-centered approach. Attendees will learn how to address common skin problems, pouching systems and therapeutic interventions for activities of daily living as it relates to ostomy care.
Single Registrant - $10
Call for Group Rates - 713-245-9832
- Identify the key structures and role of the digestive system.
- Compare and contrast continent and incontinent urinary and fecal diversions.
- Identify different pouching systems and select the most appropriate system for each type of ostomy/stoma.
- Identify common peristomal skin complications and appropriate treatment interventions for protecting the skin.
- Identify occupation-based treatment interventions for each basic activity of daily living as it relates to ostomy care.
Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants: AppleTree CEU is an AOTA approved provider - Provider #0000000033. This course is approved for 1.0 contact hours or 0.10 AOTA CEUs - Course ID 00381. This course contains beginner level content and is classified under both Domain of OT and Occupational Therapy Process.
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Disclosures – Mr. Despommier has no financial or non-financial relationships to disclose.
Check back soon for the course schedule in 2021! If you would like to host a private course, please contact us!
11:30 am Registration
12:00-1:00 Ostomy Intro
- Impact on daily life
- Interdisciplinary approach
- Therapy role
Anatomy and physiology
- Urinary bladder
- GI tract and accessory organs
- Pelvic floor
- Fecal and urinary diversion
- Pouching systems
- Peristomal skin complications
- Therapeutic inverventions
Course Completion Requirements
Certificates are provided upon successful completion of the course and evaluation form.
Ostomy Management Individual Registrant
Please fill out the form below to be registered for our next class. You must complete payment through Paypal after you click Submit in order for your registration to be complete. NOTE: You do not have to have a PayPal account. Simply choose Pay with Debit or Credit Card on the first screen in the PayPal window.